Mexico Monarch Country Tour
February 16– 20, 2018
Registration is now open for our annual trip to Mexico to see the Monarch Butterflies in their winter forest habitat and visit nearby Monarch Sister Schools. The trip will be over the Presidents’ Day weekend, departing early Friday February 16, 2018 and returning Tuesday February 20, 2018. This is a once-in-a lifetime experience, you shouldn't miss. Register now and receive $100 off!
Click here to download a our itinerary!
The first afternoon in Mexico City, we will start with a City Tour of the historic center (Zócalo), followed by a ‘Welcome Dinner’. The second day we travel to nearby Teotihuacan to see and climb the ‘Pyramid of the Sun’, the world’s third largest. On Days 3 and 4, we visit sister schools and the most famous of the Monarch’s butterfly sanctuaries: ‘El Rosario’, where millions of Monarchs congregate.
Please see details below including pricing and a detailed itinerary.
LAND PACKAGE -- Itinerary
MEXICO CITY -
Feb. 16th - Friday
- Arrival at Mexico City Airport / Met at 1:30pm by Mexican tour guide, Alex Ramirez.
- Tour of Historic District, including Zócalo square, Templo Mayor and Presidential Palace.
- Check-in at Hotel Casa Blanca (near the Reforma Blvd. & Monument to the Revolution).
- Evening: Welcome dinner with live Mexican music and authentic Mexican cuisine.
Feb. 17th - Saturday
- Breakfast / Excursion to the Pyramids of Teotihuacan led by guide.
- 2:00 pm. Early Sunday dinner, then tour of the famous National Museum of Anthropology highlighting Mexico’s amazing pre-colonial civilizations. / Evening: Free
Feb. 18th - Sunday
- Breakfast / Depart Hotel Casa Blanca. / Mini-Bus transfer to ‘Monarch Country’ (2-hour trip).
- Late morning: Visit to the ‘El Rosario’ Monarch Sanctuary with local guide.
- Mid-afternoon: Home-style meal served by local women of ‘El Rosário’ (included)
- Evening: Free
Feb. 19th - Monday
- Morning: Breakfast / Visit to two Monarch Sister Schools (Leona Vicário & ‘Forest’ Middle School)
- Excursion to charming Angangueo – a traditional mining town
- Guided tour of our partner Alternare’s Sustainable Agricultural Training Center that works with indigenous and ejido communities that own the lands of the Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve.
- Farewell Dinner in Zitácuaro, the “capital” of Monarch Country.
Feb. 20th - Tuesday
- Early Morning: Breakfast
- Departure for Mexico City / 10:15 am.: Arrival at International Airport
Land Package price: "Early Bird" $995/person (double occupancy) if paid in full by 12/22/17; or $1,095/person after 12/22/17.
The 'single supplement' for those who prefer not to share a room is $175/person.
A deposit of $300 is required to hold your place, with the balance due by January 15th.
Note: Please mail your check payable to Monarch Sister Schools Program to: William Dent / 4740 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 1012 / Washington DC 20008.
Air travel: Each trip participant will book his/her own airline reservations for a flight that arrives by 1:30 pm (latest) on Friday, Feb. 16, 2017. Separately, we will send you recommended flights.
Extensions are available before and after the main 4-day trip for those who wish to see more of Mexico City or other attractions in Monarch Country. Just let us know of your interest.
The land package price includes:
• Hotels: Two nights in Mexico City + two nights in Monarch Country.
• All Meals: Breakfasts, lunches (ex. Sat.) & dinners including Welcome & Farewell dinners.
• Tour services: Alexander Ramirez Cruz (first two days) / William Dent (entire tour)
• Transportation (private mini-bus) to and around “Monarch Country”.
• Admission fees to the Teotihuacan archeological & pyramid site; the National Museum of Anthropology; and to the ‘El Rosário’ Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary.
Please feel free to extend this invite to your friends, family, and colleagues, all are welcome. For more information, please contact William Dent at Williamdentjr@gmail.com.
For more information or to register for our trip submit the form below.